Holloween Candy

With Halloween just around the corner, there are a lot of parents who question as to if they should let their kiddos indulge.  I, too, am a parent and while this may shock some folks, I view Halloween as a singular event where nutrition should not be your main concern. Rather, your kids should have fun, be safe, and in the end try not to have a tummy ache.  I have distinct memories of my sweet little sister eating candy to her heart’s content only to be crying shortly thereafter because her tummy hurt so badly!

That said, here’s some wisdom I’ve collected from other parents over the past few years.

1. Make sure your kids have had a nice full meal before heading off to the trick or treat fest. They’ll be less inclined to consume their entire nightly winnings once they get home.

2. Don’t buy healthy candy because let’s just get real for a moment, there’s no such thing. The candy pictured above says it’s “made with real honey”, intended to make you believe it is slightly healthier. Here is its ingredient list:

Yes, there’s honey in there, about one part per million!

3. Artificial colors are very problematic. For some kids, they cause hyperactive reactions. Some studies have shown them to be carcinogenic. They are found in many foods and especially in colorful Halloween-themed candy. This is where you may want to employ the 80 /20 rule. If 80% of the time your kids are eating well (meaning, that they don’t regularly consume candy or other high-sugar foods), on the other 20% perhaps you can live with red #40.

4. Make sure that no matter how tired your child is coming home from the candy-fest, she will thoroughly brush her teeth and drink some water as well as perhaps a high-protein food such as cheese or chicken to balance out blood-sugar.

5. Throw out the excess candy after a few days. Young kids tend to forget about their huge hoards of sweets. Simply get rid of them when the young ones are not around. Although my son might find this upsetting, I toss his candy every year…not only from Halloween, but other holidays as well in which the treats seem to invade our home in mass quantities!

Overall, the point of the holiday celebration is to, well, celebrate! I don’t believe in low-sugar pies, or fat-free stuffing and I don’t believe in a candy-free Halloween, either.

Have fun…be safe!

Original Post found on Fooducate.com

2 thoughts on “Holloween Candy

  1. My sister has a great way of ditching the extra Halloween candy every year- she tells her kids they can “trade in” their leftovers for a new toy- nothing extravagant, but they get a fun trip to the toy store, and she gets to ditch all the extra sweets!

Leave a Reply