As 2012 rolls around, many of us are looking to detox from the Christmas overload of sugar, fat, alcohol, etc. Well, forget the pills, colonics and magical potions! You don’t need to invest in obscure ingredients, and you certainly don’t need to suffer by starving yourself or going on a juice cleanse. You can give your digestive system a much-needed break without giving up real food. If you’re looking to feel a little lighter and jump-start the new “you” for 2012, check out the list below. Most of these foods are high in potassium acting as natural diuretics as well as powerful metabolism-boosters. Try this detox for 7 days and you will look and feel amazing!
Fresh Fruits: Eat up to 2 servings of fruit a day. Make sure to eat fruit separately from fats, proteins and grains as to avoid feeling gassy. Suggestions? A blended fruit smoothie! Or how about a big bowl of fruit for breakfast or mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack!
- Kiwi (2)
- Watermelon (1 cup)
- Papaya (1 cup)
- Grapefruit (one half)
- Cantaloupe (one half).
Vegetables: Eat as man vegetables as you want. Preferred cooking method? Either steam or keep raw. Remember that cooking (heat) destroys much of the micronutrients in vegetables so keep them as close to their raw state as possible. For added flavor, drizzle with 1/2 tsp. walnut or avocado oil. You can also make a big, raw salad or throw kale and cucumber into your fruit smoothie for an extra boost of anti-inflammatory fiber and vitamins. Check out my green smoothie recipe – simple and delish!
- Dark leafy greens (especially dandelion, kale, spinach, etc.)
- Hot peppers and Bell peppers
Grains: Keep grain intake limited 1 cooked cup daily. No bread or wheat products whatsoever. You can split the daily portion between 2 meals, as an example, 1/2 cup for lunch and the remaining 1/2 cup for dinner.
- Black rice (has anti-inflammatory properties)
- Brown rice
Fats: Yes, you can eat fat while detoxing, but we do need to be very specific here as these selected “fats” all have an ability to aid the body’s natural detox process as well as nourish and protect vital organs such as the brain and heart, as well as sustain energy and boost metabolism. please be mindful of portions. Eat a single serving of 1 of below, per day.
- Avocado (1)
- Coconut milk (1/2 cup)
- Raw walnuts (8) Remember, we’re trying to give our digestive system a rest from working so hard, so don’t go overboard on the nuts, even though they’re small and delicious.
Protein: Eat a single serving of one of the below per day ( do not consume both eggs and fish in same day…chose one or the other). Keep in mind that the kidneys and liver have to work hard to process proteins so while we are detoxing, be mindful of your portions.
- Wild salmon (6 ounces)
- Omega-3, organic eggs (2)
Oils: Please be mindful of daily portions (not to exceed 2 Tbsp. combined a day), however, these selected oils, like the indicated fats above, provide a number of benefits in aiding your system’s natural detox capabilities.
- Extra-virgin olive oil (2 Tbsp. per day)
- Coconut oil for cooking (2 Tbsp. per day)
- Avocado oil or walnut oil for salads or veggie drizzle (1/2-1 Tsp. per day)
Condiments and Spices: This list contains 0 calorie condiments and spices which add a lot of flavor as well as help boost metabolism. Enjoy in no limitation.
- Apple cider vinegar
- Chili powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Fresh herbs (especially parsley)
- Cardamom seed, black peppercorn, cinnamon bark, clove bud and ginger root is added to green tea to make specific concoctions for individual conditions in India. These herbs are excellent for colon and blood cleansing.
- Honeysuckle, cimicifuga, green tea and jasmine flower are the specific herbs added in traditional Chinese tea for natural detoxification of the body.
- Herbal teas with constituents like milk thistle, sarsaparilla root, dandelion root, Echinacea and red clover stimulate the liver to improve its toxin-removing functionality.
- 1 Tbsp E3Live with 1 cup water before eating in the morning. E3Live is an algae that’s loaded with B vitamins and is great for energy.Natural Calm in the evening. Natural Calm is a powdered magnesium for the stressed-out that calms you down at the end of the day.
What to Avoid: Anything that is otherwise NOT specified in the above lists, however, here is a brief summary.
- All sugars and artificial sweeteners
- All dairy products (including yogurt and cheese)
- All bread products and baked items (including those that state whole wheat, corn, etc.)
- Caffeinated beverages (except green tea and 1 cup AM coffee)
- All meats with the exception of wild-caught salmon or other high-quality fatty fish.
You can get really creative in combining many of the foods from each of the categories listed above. Don’t forget, you can eat as many vegetables as you like, so make sure to have plenty on hand for snacks and salads. Remember to drink at least 3 liters of water daily and in 7 days, you will feel like a new you!