Looking for something tasty and nutritious for dinner tonight? Try this almond crusted chicken recipe with fresh yogurt lemon sauce. Did you know that the almond is technically the seed of the fruit of the almond tree, a medium-size tree that bears fragrant pink and white flowers? Like its cousins, the peach, cherry and apricot trees, the almond tree bears fruit with stone-like seeds (or pits) within. The seed of the almond fruit is what we refer to as the almond nut. Almonds are as wonderfully nutritious as they are versatile, containing high amounts of manganese, Vitamin E and magnesium. A handful of almonds makes a great snack or you can use almonds in a number of recipes as seen here. Enjoy!
- 1 free-range egg white
- 3 teaspoons water
- 4, 5-ounce boneless, organic chicken breasts, pounded thin
- 1 tsp. fresh or dried rosemary
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, coarsely chopped
- Sea salt and black or white pepper to taste
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest (divided)
- 3/4 cup plain low-fat organic greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- lemon wedges
- 1/2 cup chives, chopped
- Whisk egg white, rosemary, water, salt, and pepper in small bowl. Dip the chicken breast into the egg mixture and dredge in almonds. For a little more spice, throw some red pepper flakes into the mix or other dried or fresh herbs, like mint or basil, for a punch of flavor!
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and lightly coat with unrefined, organic coconut oil.
- Sauté chicken on one side over medium heat for 3 minutes. Turn and cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes, until cooked through.
- For the lemon sauce, simply mix together the lemon zest, greek yogurt and lemon juice. (This lemon sauce makes a great salad dressing, veggie dip and also works very well with salmon and other fish.)
- Garnish with lemon wedges and chopped chives.